A. There are many hidden costs of college! Other than tuition, room and board, here are some other expenses to budget for:
- Books: This will be a sticker shock for most parents. Ask your child to rent from Chegg and Amazon, you can save up to 90%.
- Travel: If your child lives in another city, make sure to plan ahead for the travel, use a credit card with good travel rewards.
- Food: Unlimited mean plan won't be enough, most students will need money for occasional dine out, late night pizza, etc.
- Parking: Campus parking could be very expensive, for those bring a car.
- Social club fees: Especially for students in fraternity or sorority, think about initiation fee and membership dues.
- Study abroad fee: This will be a big number, make sure you calculate the cost before applying for it.