- Don't travel during the "hot" season, which is typically May through September. Why compete with couples with young kids and pay a premium on almost any travel related services in the "hot" season? You have plenty of time to do that in the off season!
- Use senior coupons. You can join AARP to enjoy discounts on hotel, car rental, etc. Many parks and museums also offer senior discounts - if you are 55 years or older.
- Book last minute flights or hotel rooms. Again, you have plenty of time, your flexibility could be converted to money!
- Try home swapping. Just Google and you will find a few websites allow you to swap your home with someone else's home in the place you want to travel.
- Rent a place with kitchen. You can obviously save a lot of money on eating out, and more importantly, you can control your diet and eat healthy food!
Studies show that retirees spend a higher than expected amount on travel related expenses. If you want to save on trip related costs, below are some tips you can use:
PFwise's goal is to help ordinary people make wise personal finance decisions.