The primary questions to be asked of a proposed insured that presents with marijuana use history are:
- Is the use for recreational or medicinal purpose?
- If for medical concerns, what is the underlying health condition?... and what is the severity?
- What is the frequency of use?
- How is it used?...smoked/inhaled or ingested? (some carriers treat this type of use differently)
- Have there been any problems with law enforcement?...or Dr’s concern over use?
- Any other drug use or alcohol concerns?
With many carriers, the underwriting of an applicant with marijuana use will often end up with Standard Smoker offers at best...but we do have some who look at this more aggressively. Depending on frequency and/or whether it’s for medicinal use, we still have a few that can rate at Standard Non-smoker or, occasionally, even at Preferred classes. Each individual case will be looked at based on its own characteristics. Please contact us if you need help.