A. The insurance company's underwriter is going to ask you a few questions, such as:
- What was the age of diagnosis?
- What is the severity? Would your doctor characterize it as mild/moderate/severe?
- When was the last flare-up? What is the frequency of the episodes?
- What is the specific type of GI issue? How is it treated?
- How much of the GI tract is involved?
- Any surgeries done or being contemplated?
What Underwriting Class May I Receive?
You can expect offers of Standard Plus or Standard on the milder cases, with good follow-up and limited colon involvement. Low to moderate table ratings should be expected for more moderate cases of chronic ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. Severe cases with significant and frequent episodes of inflammation may lead to a postponement until further treatment. Underwriting any form of intestinal disorder can be positively impacted by good nutritional habits, use of vitamin supplements, regular exercise, and good weight control. A cover letter should address any positive lifestyle habits or additional information you’d like the underwriter to know.
Please contact us if you need help with your life insurance needs.