A. You can use the free IRS tool to find out the answer by yourself.
You will need the following information to answer a series questions first:
- Filing status
- Student’s enrollment status
- Your adjusted gross income
- Who paid the expenses, when the expenses were paid and for what academic period
- If any expenses were paid with tax exempt funds
- If any expenses were paid with distributions from a Coverdell Education Savings Account or Qualified Tuition Program
Overall estimated completion time is 10 minutes, however, 5 minutes of inactivity will end the interview and you will be forced to start over, so you better get everything handy.