VPAS starts with an electronic questionnaire that covers your personal details, salary and tax information, financial account details (with Vanguard account information auto-populated) and a risk tolerance questionnaire, along with your current savings towards retirement, anticipated Social Security and pension benefits, and your retirement spending goals. Once data is entered, you will see a calendar to schedule a time for a 45-minute plan presentation (and receive a draft of the plan in advance to review).
The Recommended Plan
The plan includes the following items:
- Vanguard’s 3-step process for developing a financial plan
- Investment recommendations in summary and details
- Your retirement outlook
- Information you provided
- Recommendations broken down by account
- Transactions to achieve the recommendations
- Allocation for future savings
- Legal disclosures
The Recommended Portfolios
The plan recommends two portfolios:
- an integrated portfolio that tries to keep most of the existing positions; and
- a consolidated portfolio in case you are more willing to sell existing holdings and consolidate
The funds chosen for the recommended portfolios typically include broadly diversified Vanguard index funds, such as: Total Stock, Total International, Total Bond, and Total International Bond.