A. While most people can quite easily get into residential real estate investment filed, commercial real estate investment is a lot more complicated, its major pros and cons are summarized below:
Pros of Commercial real estate investment
- Higher rent (if you can find a tenant)
- Lease is more favorable to the landlord
- Easier to manage
- Longer lease term
- Commercial loan has no impact on the landlord's credit
Cons of Commercial real estate investment
- It might take longer time to find a tenant, especially if the local economy is in the downturn.
- More complicated lease (gross lease, triple net, double net, modified gross, etc.)
- Commercial financing is hard to obtain. Commercial loans typically are 5-year fixed with balloon payment, so you have to refinance every 5 years.